by Akashendu Das
As an art director/visualiser and a photographer, I have always looked at Fine Art Nudes as an art form – something that is created normally in a single shot and becomes a work of art. Unlike what is normally perceived in India today, nudity in the photograph is always secondary to the creativity – though many people do not seem to think so. The objective is to create a beautiful, artistic, sculpted form using the body parts of a model – where the clothes (or lack of them) are totally irrelevant. With this series of Fine Art Nudes, we at Abraxas Lifestyle, are making an attempt to break away from the confining chains of puritanical Anglo-Saxon morality imposed on us by years of British rule.
I am a purist at heart and almost all my photography, including Fine Art Nude Photography, have always been in single shots. I have always tried to capture all the emotion and all the action in one single shot – without the use of post processing.
However this specific Fine Art Nude photograph is one of the rare occasions where the graphic designer in me over-powered the artist in me – and I did resort to the use of post processing. In my defence, I can only say that the graphic composition created by the model’s legs and arms was so dramatic – that it required the post production to create this graphic visual masterpiece. In future too, we shall continue to share such visual art forms by some of the leading Indian and international photographers.
About the Photographer – Akashendu Das :
- Akashendu Das is a path-breaking figure in Indian Advertising. Popularly known as Akash Das he has won many prestigious awards and has been a pioneer in the art of visual communication and photography.
- Awarded one of the ’10 most influential people in photography industry’ adjudged by Ernst & Young for Asian Photography in February 2013-14.
- Akash is the only photographer whose black and white exhibition called ‘In Search of Asian Nudes’ got engraved in Limca Book of World Records as the first of its kind in the world
- He is a Special Member of NIKON PROFESSIONAL SERVICES since 2016.
- He is a CANON Pro Panelist & Mentor from 2008 to 2015.
- He is the brand ambassador for Sandisk ( Extream Team Pro, International).
- Internationally acclaimed Akash Das has done more than 10 solo exhibitions in Paris, Miami, Hamburg, Montevideo and in India.
- His work has been published National Geographic, Time magazine, Polo De Pari (French), La MODE (French) Etc.
- He already has 4 Coffee table books to his credit. They are called In Search of Asian Nudes, Hundred Wonders of Uttar Pradesh, Celebrating Manipur, Vanishing Wilds and Faune en Inde (French)
- Some of the present Clients: National Geographic, Incredible India, WWF, BBC London, Nikon, Canon, Sandisk, Mercedes-Benz, Gap, Suzuki, Hyundai, Honda, ONGC International, Casio, Seiko, Apollo, China tourism, Jaypee Hotels, Radisson Hotels, Denver, GIVO, Mayur Suitings, Bonjour, ITC, Fiama De Wills, Govt of Manipur, Govt of Sikkim, UP Govt, Mayur Suiting, Cox & Kings, SSB & more.
- Also Shot Many Celebrities including Kapil Dev, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Ravi Shastri, MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Meri Com, Salman Khan, Hema Malini, Mallika Sherawat, Shekhar Kapur, Narain Kartikye, Eesha Deol, Esha Gupta, Milind Sonam, Mark Robinson, Madhu Sapre, Arjun Rampal, Meher Jessia,Sonam Kapur, Roberto Cavali, Nawazuddin Siddique, Suresh Oberoi, Vivek Oberoi, Raghu Rai, Amjad Ali Khan, Padmabhushan Pt. Rajan Sajan Mishra, Padmashree Shovna Naraian….and many more Indian and international cricketers, Actors, Musicians Artists and Politicians.